2-D barcodes are more complex and store data in the form of a matrix or stack. Stacked 2-D barcodes contain data in the form stacks of linear barcodes whereas matrix 2-D barcodes store data in the form of hexagonal, square or circular cells. They can store data in both vertical and horizontal direction.
Advantages of 2-D barcodes
• These barcodes can store much larger amount of data ranging up to thousands of alphanumeric characters.
• Error correction formula can be embedded into barcode which helps in the retrieval of data in case barcode is damaged up to 15 to 20%.
• Variety of data can be embedded into these barcodes such as numeric, binary, text and Unicode data.
Disadvantages of 2-D barcodes
• Specialized hardware and software scanners are required to generate and decode these barcodes which can be expensive.
• Complex algorithm needs to be designed for 2-D barcodes which make things much complex as compared linear barcodes.
bytescout.com Barcode Generator and Barcode Reader SDK
If you want to take benefits from the capabilities if barcode and want to generate linear and 2-D barcodes, you should definitely check our BarCode Generator SDK. It contains amazing barcode generation capabilities both for linear and 2-D barcodes. Similarly, if you want to scan and read barcodes from pictures, PDF, TIFF files or web camera – check our BarCode Reader SDK”