2-D barcodes are more complex and store data in the form of a matrix or stack. Stacked 2-D barcodes contain data in the form stacks of linear barcodes whereas matrix 2-D barcodes store data in the form of hexagonal, square or circular cells. They can store data in both vertical and horizontal direction.
• These barcodes can store much larger amount of data ranging up to thousands of alphanumeric characters.
• Error correction formula can be embedded into barcode which helps in the retrieval of data in case barcode is damaged up to 15 to 20%.
• Variety of data can be embedded into these barcodes such as numeric, binary, text and Unicode data.
• Specialized hardware and software scanners are required to generate and decode these barcodes which can be expensive.
• Complex algorithm needs to be designed for 2-D barcodes which make things much complex as compared linear barcodes.
If you want to take benefits from the capabilities if barcode and want to generate linear and 2-D barcodes, you should definitely check our BarCode Generator SDK. It contains amazing barcode generation capabilities both for linear and 2-D barcodes. Similarly, if you want to scan and read barcodes from pictures, PDF, TIFF files or web camera – check our BarCode Reader SDK”